Cover image: FREDERIC J. BROWN / AFP
- After a scandal-related broadcast hiatus, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) Awards resume Tuesday, Jan. 10, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., at 5 p.m. local time. (Wednesday January 11 at 2 a.m. in Paris, on the Canal+ channel).
- Long perceived as Hollywood’s favorite evening, the Golden Globes will try to restore their image. The presentation of these awards in Beverly Hills has traditionally been very well attended, as it kicks off the awards season in the United States.
- Last year, the Golden Globes were suspended and shunned by the industry, because of accusations of racism, sexism and corruption aimed at the HFPA, which forms their jury. After a series of reforms to renovate the HFPA – which had no black members in 2021 – the American channel NBC agreed to broadcast the 80e Golden Globes ceremony.
- Faced with controversy, the HFPA notably renewed the jury of the Golden Globesincluding 103 newcomers – who are not full members of the association –, including many women and people from ethnic minorities. But it is above all the influence of these awards that is at stake after the recent controversies.
- Many big names are invited, including director Steven Spielberg, whose semi-autobiographical The Fabelmans share favorite for the award for best dramatic film, and actor Eddie Murphy who must be singled out for his entire career.
- African-American gay comedian Jerrod Carmichael will host the ceremony and director Quentin Tarantino is among the presenters of the awards.
- But the return to favor is far from guaranteed: the contract with NBC is only valid for this year and many nominees have not yet confirmed their presence, while others have already indicated that they will be absent.
- Brendan Fraser, nominated for his role as an obese and reclusive professor in his The Whale, accuses a former HFPA president of sexually assaulting him and will boycott the event. Producer of Top Gun: MaverickTom Cruise should also be absent, after returning his three Golden Globes to protest against the scandals.
- His feature film will try, with the other huge box office success of 2022 Avatar: The Way of the Waterto prevent The Fabelmans to win the prize for best dramatic film.
- Tarwhich takes place in the universe of classical music, and the biopic Elvis, on the king of rock ‘n’ roll could also create a surprise. Their respective stars – Cate Blanchett as the ruthless conductor, and Austin Butler as the remarkable Elvis Presley – are among the favorites for the acting awards.
- As for series, Better Call Saul, The Crown, House of the Dragon, ozark and Severance compete for the statuette of the best dramatic series and Abbott Elementary, The Bear, hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Wednesday, for Best Comedy.
For further :
We wish to say thanks to the writer of this write-up for this remarkable web content
Golden Globes 2023 Live: Watch the TV and Film Awards Ceremony Comeback
Other links: https://awardworld.net/resources/