The Book Fair is held at the Puerto Principal Convention Center. Photo: Alexander Garcia / EL COMERCIO
The eighth edition of the international Book Fair (FIL Guayaquil) started in the Center of conventions of Main Port. The fairgrounds opened its doors on the morning of this Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at the start of five days of book, reading and literature festival.
Cecelia Ansaldo, content director of the Fair, highlighted the presence of Argentine journalist and writer Martín Caparrós, who will be part of the agenda and a colloquium. With his book, Ñamérica “opens the eyes of Latin Americans who are unaware and indifferent to his world,” he pointed out.
Ansaldo also pondered the visit to the city of River Pillarwidow of reward laureate of literature Portuguese Jose Saramago. And the Spanish writer Cristina Morales, Reward Herralde Novel 2018 for the “extraordinary” Easy Read.
In principle, the Chilean-Argentine writer Cristian Alarcón, the most recent winner of the Alfuara Novel Award. But the organization of the event finally ruled out the author’s presence in the city.
Areas for children and young people
Ricardo Baquerizo, president of Expoplaza, indicated that the venue has entertainment areas to encourage the visit of children and young people. Among them areas with figures of superheroes in tribute to the centenary of the birth of Stan Lee, writer and producer of comics. Also an area in tribute to the 25th anniversary of the publication of the first Harry Potter book. And an area for children allusive to the comic strip Snoopy, for the hundred years of the birth of Charles Schulz.
Baquerizo reported that 2,000 students from educational establishments and 18,000 young people are waiting for the visit. While there are over 52 stands in the venue and the event will feature the participation of 40 national and 15 international writers, he said.
A five-day cultural festival
The IDF will open from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. during the five days, until Sunday, September 25, and foresees an agenda of almost hundred activities. The entrance fee is USD 3 for adults and USD 1.50 for the elderly and people with disabilities. Meanwhile, for children up to 12 years old and visitors to educational centers admission is free.
The very organization of the fair, which is carried out with the support of the Municipality of Guayaquil and his Municipal Public Tourism Company, highlighted some of the recommended activities. The complete program can be downloaded from the website of the FIL Guayaquil
Outstanding activities of the Book Fair
- Interview with the singer Patricia González. Cecilia Velasco speaks in public with the winner of the Eugenio Espejo 2022 Award, Art and Culture. Wednesday, September 21, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., in the Baquerizo Moreno Room of the Convention Center.
- Colloquium with Cristina Morales. The critic Cecilia Ansaldo interviews the Spanish writer, winner of the 2018 Herralde Novel Award and the 2019 National Narrative Award. Wednesday, September 21, from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., in the Vicente Rocafuerte Room.
- Javier Vásconez and his 40 years of fictions. The Ecuadorian writer participates in a talk about his work with Mónica Murga and Marcelo Cruz. Thursday, September 22, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., in the Rocafuerte Room.
- Latin American storytellers today: beyond the narrative borders. Participating are the Guayaquil writer Solange Rodríguez, the Argentine writer and journalist Gabriela Cabezón and the Peruvian Katya Adaui. Thursday, September 22, from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., in the Vicente Rocafuerte Room.
- The centenary of José Saramago. Pilar del Río, Fernando Bálseca and Diego participate in a tribute talk to the centenary of the birth of the Portuguese Nobel Prize winner. The discussion will be moderated by Eloise Hagen. Friday, September 23, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., in the Rocafuerte Hall of the fairgrounds.
- Eduardo Varas will present the ‘Three versions’. The Ecuadorian writer presents the novel that won the Miguel Donoso Pareja Prize, awarded by the fair last year. Saturday, September 24, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., in the Rocafuerte Room.
- Colloquium with Martín Caparrós. The activity with the Argentine journalist and writer is directed by the journalist Sara España. Saturday, September 24, from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., in Room 2 Baquerizo Moreno of the Convention Center.
- The character of the difference: powerful disability. The Spanish writer Cristina Morales and the essayist and critic Karina Marín participate in this talk moderated by Eduardo Espoza. Sunday, September 25, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., in the Vicente Rocafuerte Room.
- The journalism that surpassed the news. Argentine writer Martín Caparrós participates in a talk with journalists Diana Romero and Thalie Ponce. Sunday, September 25, from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., in the Vicente Rocafuerte Room.
– Contemporary Ecuadorian narrative. Solange Rodríguez, Ernesto Carrión, Eduardo Varas, Jorge Vargas, Andrea Crespo and Darío Jiménez participate in this activity on current national literature with the editor María Paulina Briones. Sunday, September 25, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., in the Vicente Rocafuerte Room
We would love to thank the author of this write-up for this outstanding content
The Guayaquil Book Fair kicks off: these are the featured events