Whether for its watches or its jewelry, Chopard is one of the most prestigious brands in the world. It is also she who designs the famous Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival each year.
But beyond this aura, what are Chopard watches really worth? And how did the company get here? We tell you everything you need to know about it in this article.
The history of the Chopard brand
It was on the advice of his peasant father that Louis Ulysse Chopard began to take an interest in watchmaking in the 1850s. Very early on, he therefore learned the workings of the trade, realizing just as quickly that he would be more successful working for his own account. Barely 24 years old, he decided to open his own factory in Sonvilier, Switzerland..
With its high-precision handcrafted watches, LUC found its audience and Chopard watches enjoyed growing notoriety in Switzerland. But Louis-Ulysse sees bigger and his various trips to Scandinavia, Poland or Russia allow him to conquer the entire Old Continent, his timepieces even inviting themselves to the court of Tsar Nicolas II.
The crises and conflicts of the early 20th century barely slowed down its development and the family history continued on the death of Louis-Ulysse in 1915. His son Paul-Louis and his grandson Paul-André took over the reins of the company , who moved to Geneva from 1937. But in the 1960s, the Chopard house changed hands, the heirs not having wanted to continue in the world of watchmaking. Since 1963, the Scheufele family (originally from Germany) has been at the head of the group.
It made a strategic shift in the 1970s, leaving the center of Geneva for Meyrin and embarking on the production of jewelry watches for women. Chopard begins to diversify its production and ventures into different fields, as evidenced by its partnership with the legendary Mille Miglia car race in Italy, since 1988. Ten years later, the jewelry house became a privileged partner of the Cannes Film Festival, Caroline Scheufele being asked to redesign the Palme d’Or. Since then, Chopard has retained exclusive manufacturing rights for the prestigious 118 gram yellow gold trophy.
In the 21st century, the prestige of Chopard is still intact, its jewelery and prestigious watches still making men and women around the world dream. After more than 150 years of existence, the “small” factory founded by Louis-Ulysse has grown considerably!
Our opinion on Chopard
Sober, elegant, timeless: the style of Chopard men’s watches is rather consensual, but very successful. Car enthusiasts should be seduced by the Mille Miglia collection while those looking for a more classic masculine model will turn to the Alpine Eagle line.
In any case, buying a Chopard watch requires a certain investment: not less than 6000 euros. But at this price, you will have the assurance of wearing a robust and reliable model, which can be passed down from generation to generation.
For further :
The major watchmaking houses you need to know
Iconic Chopard watches
We already talked about it a little higher: one of the most emblematic men’s collections at Chopard is the Mille Miglia, named after a prestigious Italian car race. Each year, the brand releases a new edition in homage to this competition and we find on these timepieces details inspired by the racing cars that participate in it (counters on the dial, perforated bracelet, etc.).
In a more contemporary register, the range Alpine Eagle is positioned as the brand’s “new sport-chic collection”, “inspired by the Alps and the majestic character of the eagle”. Steel and platinum feature prominently, sometimes accompanied by pink gold or diamonds. We particularly like the finish of the dial, whose texture is reminiscent of the iris of a bird of prey.
Finally, for lovers of exceptional watchmaking, the LUC collection pays direct homage to the creator of the Chopard house. They benefit from even more meticulous work and highlight the know-how of Swiss craftsmen. This is even more true on Grand Complications and Craftsmanship watcheswhich truly represent “the quintessence of fine watchmaking”.
Where to buy Chopard watches?
Although the Chopard factory was founded in 1860, it took until 1989 to witness the opening of the brand’s first boutique. It was in Vienna, Austria.
Since then, the Swiss house has inaugurated points of sale in the most prestigious cities of the world (Paris, Monaco, Abu Dhabi, New York), and can count on a solid network of retailers.
The latest brand news
- All about Chopard: reviews and the most beautiful watches–Whether for its watches or its jewelry, Chopard is one of the most prestigious brands in the world. It is also she who designs the famous Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival each year. But beyond this aura, what are Chopard watches really worth? And how did the company get here?… Continue Reading All about Chopard: reviews and the most beautiful watches
- The most beautiful watches at Watches & Wonders 2022–The SIHH is dead, long live Watches & Wonders! While we thought that the major watch fairs belonged to history, the biggest world event in this field is being held this week in Geneva. Chopard, Montblanc, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars-Piguet… The most prestigious brands on the planet meet in Switzerland to unveil their new products.… Continue reading The most beautiful watches at Watches & Wonders 2022
- 10 crazy watches presented at Only Watch 2021–The Only Watch charity auction of luxury watches returns on November 6, 2021. 54 brands will be present for the good cause, unveiling for the occasion exceptional watches in more ways than one. Here are the 10 most beautiful of this upcoming 9th edition. What is Only Watch?10 of the most beautiful watches… Continue reading 10 crazy watches presented at Only Watch 2021
- The invigorating return of the Alpine Eagle watch–The Chopard Alpine Eagle watch, the first watch from the house, is making a strong comeback with a reinterpretation of the famous St Moritz created by Karl-Friedrich Scheufele himself. Designed in a singular steel (the Lucent Steel A223), super resistant and reflecting the light, this watch directly transported from the 80s – and which seemed to have disappeared from the… Continue reading The invigorating return of the Alpine Eagle watch
- Chopard LUC Perpetual T Spirit of La Santa Muerte: death is beautiful–Chopard celebrates the Mexican Day of the Dead with its sumptuous LUC Perpetual T Spirit of La Santa Muerte watch.
We would love to give thanks to the author of this short article for this incredible material
All about Chopard: reviews and the most beautiful watches