(Alexandre D’Astopus)-The award-winning animated short film The Flying Sailor (The flying sailor), directed by Wendy Tilby and Amanda Forbis, continues its spectacular festival tour: the prestigious National Film Board of Canada production is heading to the 2023 Sundance Film Festival, from January 19 to 29.
The latest work from the Tilby-Forbis duo, Oscar nominee and Palme d’or winner, The Flying Sailor
is inspired by the startling and true story of a man blown two kilometers through the air by the 1917 explosion in Halifax, the most powerful accidental non-nuclear explosion the world has ever seen. The short film offers us a moving meditation on the miracle and the fragility of existence.
The previous collaborations of the two Calgary hosts, When the Day Breaks (1999) and A wild life (2011), earned them Oscar nominations for Best Animated Short. Wendy Tilby also had this honor for Strings (1991), which she directed as an individual. The NFB has distinguished itself at the Oscars for many years, its productions and co-productions having received more nominations than any other organization outside the Hollywood studios.
The 2023 edition of the Sundance Film Festival will be held in a hybrid format: it will combine theatrical screenings and continuous broadcasting.
So far selected more than 20 times in festivals, The Flying Sailor has so far won 8 awards and 1 mention:
- Best Narrative Film, Countryside Animafest Cyprus, Cyprus?;
- Best Animated Short, New York Short Film Festival, USA;
- Best Character Based Film, Los Angeles Animation Festival, USA;
- Best Experimental Work, Los Angeles Animation Festival, USA?;
- Audience Award, awarded to the 10 favorite foreign films, São Paulo International Short Film Festival, Brazil?;
- Best Canadian Animation Award from the Canadian Film Institute, Ottawa International Animation Festival, Canada;
- Best Animated Short Film, Calgary International Film Festival, Canada;
- Silver Award for Best Canadian Short Film, Toronto After Dark Film Festival, Canada?;
- Honorable Mention – Audience Award for Best Canadian Short Film, GIRAF International Independent Animation Festival 2022, Calgary, Canada.
More information on The Flying Sailor
(7 min 45 sec)
- The film uses a variety of techniques and media (3D, 2D, live action, photography) and boldly mixes comedy, suspense, philosophy and playful abstraction.
- David Christensen produced and executive produced for the NFB’s North West Studio in Edmonton, Alberta.
We would like to give thanks to the author of this short article for this remarkable content
An animated short film on tour – Le Journal L’Horizon