Deprived of competition last year because of the pandemic, the most famous film festival in the world finds its red carpet and its ballet of stars from this Tuesday, July 6. For this 74th edition, 24 films are in the running for the Palme d’Or, including 7 from France.
“The selection was particularly difficult this year.” The General Delegate of the Cannes Film Festival, Thierry Frémaux, has selected seven frenchies in the middle of 17 internationals to defend the Palme d’Or. François Ozon, Julia Ducournau, Bruno Dumont, Jacques Audiard, Catherine Corsini, Mia Hansen-Love and Leos Carax will be decided by a jury chaired by American filmmaker Spike Lee, who should have been the president last year. To help him, Mélanie Laurent, Tahar Rahim, and Milène Farmer, among others, are members of the jury and will decide, in particular, on the seven French films in competition.
– Annetteof Leos Carax, opens the ball tonight. The musical, a real rock opera, co-written and set to music with the Sparks, with Marion Cotillard and Adam Driver is the most anticipated film of this beginning of the festival.
– Bergman Islandof Mia Hansen – Love, is the director’s seventh film and the only one to have qualified her to enter the competition. Two intersecting love stories, with Tim Roth and Vicky Krieps. A film shot on the favorite island of Swedish filmmaker Ingmar Bergman, in theaters on July 14.
– The divideof Catherine Corsini, with Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi, Marina Foïs and Pio Marmaï plunges us into the France of the “yellow vests”. A couple on the verge of breaking up find themselves in the emergency room close to asphyxiation on the evening of a Parisian demonstration. The night will be long…
– The Olympiadsof Jacques Audiard, with Noémie Merlant stages the revolt of female characters. Céline Sciamma is writing the screenplay. The film is loosely based on graphic novels by American author Adrian Tomine.
– Franceof Bruno Dumontwith Léa Seydoux, Benjamin Biolay and Blanche Gardin. France is both the portrait of a woman, television journalist, of a country, ours, and of a system, that of the media. The original music is signed Christophe. In theaters August 25.
– Titaniumof Julia Ducournau, with Vincent Lindon. A story of a found child and serial murders. Five years after the revelation of his shaking horror film Severe to the Critics’ Week, the director signs a rather disturbing genre film…
– Everything went wellof Francois Ozon, with Sophie Marceau. A poignant story about the end of life and euthanasia. After a romance between two teenagers in Summer 85the director adapts the novel by Emmanuelle Bernheim, and tells the story of a woman helping her father to die following a stroke.
Other French films, out of competition, are expected at Cannes this year. In particular the new part ofOSS 117 by Nicolas Bedos, the fiction freely inspired by the life of Celine Dion embodied and directed by Valérie Lemercier, In his lifetime by Emmanuelle Bercot with Catherine Deneuve, Cécile de France and Benoit Magimel. In a special screening, Charlotte Gainsbourg will present Jane by Charlottehis first film, a documentary about his mother.
We would like to thank the writer of this article for this remarkable web content
Cannes Film Festival 2021: discover the seven French people in the running for the Palme d’Or