From July 6 to 17, 2021, the Croisette was adorned with a thousand lights to welcome film stars to the Cannes Film Festival. Prize list, Jury, Films from the Official Selection, Montée des Marches, Celebrities, Encounters, Interviews… Here is the information, below and the most beautiful moments of this 74th edition.
Julia Ducournau wins the Palme d’Or for Titanium. The president of the jury Spike Lee almost announced it from the outset, bordering on the blunder from the start of the closing ceremony. In the end, it took until the end of the awards for the French director to officially win the Palme d’or with Titanium, his second horror feature film about a serial killer very fond of metal. At 37, the filmmaker already at the origin of the Cannes sensation Severe mark the history of cinema by becoming the second woman to win the prestigious title, 28 years after Jane Campion for The Piano Lesson in 1993.
Julia Ducournau, for Titanium
Asghar Farhadi for A hero and Juho Kuosmanen for Compartment number 6ex aequo
Leos Carax for Annette
Ryusuke Amaguchi and Oe Takamasa, for Drive My Car
Best Actress Award
Renate Reinsve, in Julie (in 12 chapters) by Joachim Trier
Best Actor Award
Caleb Landry Jones for Nitramby Justin Kurzel
Nadav Lapid for Knee from Ahed and Apichatpong Weerasethakul for Memoriaex aequo
Honorary Palme d’Or
Murinaby Antoneta Alamat Kusijanovic
The poster deployed
The poster for the 74th Cannes Film Festival was visible on the pediment of the Palais des Festivals. The onlookers, amazed by the 288 square meters of poster, were present to attend this moment rich in emotions, after a year and a half of health crisis.
There is still a long way to go to achieve gender equality, including at the Cannes film festival. This year, on 24 movies in the running for the Palme d’Or, only four have been made by women. The last (and only) female director to win the prestigious award is Jane Campion, who won the award in 1993 with her film, The Piano Lesson.
Mia Hansen – Lovedirector of Bergman Island, Catherine Corsini (The divide), Julia Ducournau (Titanium), and the Hungarian Ildiko Enyed (My Wife’s Story), are those nominated for the Palme d’Or this year. In the history of the festival, there have never been, in the same year, more than four women competing for this award.
“The artistic object takes precedence over everything else, but if we hesitate between two films, one of which is directed by a woman, we will go to this one“, however explained the general delegate of the festival, Thierry Frémaux to the Madame Figaro.
The Cannes Film Festival takes place between Tuesday July 6 and Saturday July 17, 2021.
The Cannes Film Festival is chaired by Pierre Lescurelike every year since 2014. Doria Tilliermeanwhile, is mistress of the opening and closing ceremonies.
Spike Lee is the president of the jury for this 74th edition of the Cannes Film Festival.
The director Andrea Arnoldshe is president of the Un Certain Regard jury.
Spike Leewho was appointed president of the jury for the 74th edition of the Cannes Film Festival, will finally head a majority female jury, composed of five women and three men. On the women’s side, it is the French and Senegalese director Mati Diopthe filmmaker Jessica Hausnerthe French director and actress Melanie Laurentthe singer Mylène Farmeras well as the American actress Maggie Gyllenhaal. As for the male jurors, they are French actor Tahar Rahimthe South Korean comedian Song Kang-ho and the Brazilian director Kleber Mendonca.
To support the president of the Un Certain Regard Jury Andrea Arnolddirector Mounia MeddourArgentinian filmmaker DAniel Burmanactress Elsa Zylberstein and the director Michael Covinowill be there.
Films in the official selection of the Cannes Film Festival 2021
- Annette by Leos Carax (opening film)
- A hero by Ashgar Farhadi
- Everything went well by Francois Ozon
- Tre Piani by Nanni Moretti
- Titanium by Julia Ducournau
- The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson
- Red Rocket by Sean Baker
- Petrov’s Flu by Kirill Serebrennikov
- France by Bruno Dumont
- Nitram by Justin Kurzel
- Memoria by Apichatpong Weerasethakul
- Lingui by Mahamat-Saleh Haroun
- The Olympiads by Jacques Audiard
- The Intranquilles by Joachim Lafosse
- The divide by Catherine Corsini
- Julie (in 12 chapters) by Joachim Trier
- Hytti Nro 6 by Juho Kuosmanen
- High and loud by Nabil Ayouch
- Ahed’s Knee by Nadav Lapid
- Drive My Car by Ryusuke Hamaguchi
- Bergman Island by Mia Hansen-Love
- Benedetta by Paul Verhoeven
- My wife’s story by Ildiko Enyedi
- Flag Day by Sean Penn
The films of the Un certain regard category
- A world by Laura Wander
- The Innocents by Eskil Vogt
- Rehana Maryam Noor by Abdullah Mohammad Saad
- And there was a morning by Eran Kolirin
- The Civil by Teodora Ana Mihai
- The Great Freedom by Sebastian Meise
- Woman Do Cry by Mina Mileva and Vesela Kazakova
- Unclenching the fist by Kira Kovalenko
- after yang by Kogonada
- Commitment hasan by Hasan Semih Kaplanoglu
- Lamb by Vladimir Johansson
- Night of Fuego by Tatiana Huezo
- Good mother by Hafsia Herzi
- Delo (House arrest) by Alexey German JR
- blue bayou by Justin Chon
- moneyboys by CB Yi
- Freda by Gessica Geneus
- My brothers and me by Yohan Manca
The Cannes Premieres selection:
- Evolution by Kornel Mundruczo
- Deception by Arnaud Desplechin
- cow by Andrea Arnold
- This music plays for no one by Samuel Benchetrit
- mothering sunday by Eva Husson
- Hug me tight by Mathieu Amalric
- In front of your face by Hong Sang-Soo
- Vortex by Gaspar Noé
Films out of competition at the Cannes Film Festival 2021:
- In his lifetime by Emmanuelle Bercot
- Emergency Declaration by Han Jae-Rim
- The Velvet Underground by Todd Haynes
- Stillwater by Tom McCarthy
- Aline by Valerie Lemercier
- North ferry by Cedric Jimenez
- Where is Anne Franck by Ari Folman
Jodie Foster will be present at the opening ceremony to receive his Honorary Palme d’Or.
The complete list of celebrities present has not yet been revealed, but we can already say with near certainty that Marion Cotillard will walk the red carpet for her role in Annette by Leos Carax, but also Virginie Efira for his participation in Benedetta by Paul Verhoeven, or even Matthew Amalric which appears in The French Dispatchby Wes Anderson.
Jean Dujardin will climb the steps of the festival with the film OSS 117: Red alert in black Africa by Nicolas Bedos Vincent Lindonfor his role in Titanium by Julia Ducournau, in the running for the Palme d’Or, or even Jane Birkinfor the documentary about him, directed by his daughter Charlotte Gainsbourg.
Catherine Deneuve will also climb the steps of the Cannes Film Festival, the actress being on the bill of In his lifetime, a film out of competition directed by Emmanuelle Bercot.
As for international stars, we already know that Sean Penn will present his thriller Flag Day, Matt Damon will walk the red carpet for her role in Todd McCarthy’s feature film, Stillwaterand the American director Wes Anderson will defend his film, The French Dispatch.
We want to give thanks to the author of this short article for this awesome content
Palme d’or for Titanium, Julia Ducournau as queen… what to remember from the Cannes Film Festival 2021